Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Day #1

Ok, so day #1 was yesterday, Monday March 9th. I woke up feeling like I needed to conquer the world. After all this time I know this is not possible :) So I decide to set some goals. #1. Do some kind of exercise at least once a day. Whether it's a quick walk, run, going to the gym, whatever it is I need to do something. Goal #2. Eat better...more greens, water, veges, you know all the good things that you are supposed to put in your body. Eat less junk...chips, chips & more chips. To be honest I can go a day without sweets, but when it comes to chips...YUM!!! I do get the baked kind though (that always makes me feel not so guilty) :). Goal #3 Stick with goals #1 & #2 for a month & reaccess after that.
DAY #1
Here I go. As I walk out my front door I realize it's a lot warmer than I thought it was when I decided to wear my sweater. I decide to keep it on. For this first jog I bring along my hubby & my dog Raina (you'll be hearing about Raina alot since she is my faithful companion on my jogs). As we get to the sidewalk i'm thinking to myself "do I really want to do this?" Well I can't turn back now! We start walking. It's been awhile since i've done any type of cardio so right away I feel my lungs tightening up & my legs are incredibly stiff. What is wrong with me? I've run two 1/2 marathons before, this should be easy! Noooo...this was not easy, it was rather upsetting to think that my short chubby legs are no longer in the shape they were in a year ago! As we walk my pace keeps getting faster as I huff & puff my way up the hill. For most of the first mile I walk uphill & get my legs warmed up. Once we hit the top of the hill I feel this sudden urge to start jogging. Here I go, me & my short chubby legs have lift off! For the next mile it is a slight downhill (my favorite type of running), I keep running while Raina & Mitch keep walking. I keep a slow steady pace since I wasn't sure if my body could take this pounding on the pavement. M & R are never far behind me. Once I hit the bottom of the hill I stop. Not sure why I stopped, my body was warmed up & I probably could of gone a little longer. It was mostly mental...me telling myself that I should just stop at the bottom of the hill & walk. So, that is what I did. I stopped, waited for mitch & the dog and walked the last 1/2 mile or so home. I was a little discouraged that I stopped, but told myself tomorrow I would go just a little longer. As we turn down our street I feel a sense of relief. I did it...it's no 1/2 marathon, but it's something that I can be proud of :) The only thing on my mind now is how sore I am going to be in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment