Well as I stated in my last post I knew today needed to be a really good day. I am pleased to announce that as of 7pm I am having a fantastic day! I just wish everyday could be as good. Waking up this morning I knew I would have to get in some really good cardio since the past 2 days were not great cardio days. I arrived at the gym in the early afternoon & got right on the treadmill. Like I said before running is the best for me when it comes to burning calories. I think this is why I choose it so often...it gets my heart rate up & allows me to burn some great calories. Although it is probably not the easiest thing to do especially when I am carrying around some extra baggage (weight)! It does seem to be getting easier all the time. Today I have a goal...run 3 miles. I am really trying to get my speed going a little faster...for one that helps with the overall stamina & weight loss, but it also gets me off the treadmill a little faster :) Today I start at a really good pace (for my short legs) I run the 1st mile with no problem...I jump right on & get going. I take a 1 minute walk when I finish the first mile. The 2nd mile I seem to be doing ok at first then all of a sudden at 2.25 miles I start getting those really bad hunger pains!?! I can't be hungry now! The hunger pains last about .25 of a mile but I keep running through them...by 2.5 miles they are gone & I am able to finish the 2nd mile strong. I take my 1 min. break & head into the 3rd mile. By this time my legs are getting a little tired & I am so ready to be done! The third mile all I could think of was getting off & eating something! It seems like I have been running forever when I look down & see that I only have .25 miles to go!! I turn my Ipod to a song I know will get me through this last .25 mile quickly...Not Ashamed by Newsboys!! Boy did it ever get me through that last stretch...all of a sudden I feel a rush of endorphins or as some people call it a "runners high" or "second wind" Here is a little explanation: "Endorphins can also contribute to what some athletes call a "second wind." Rather than feeling pain and exhaustion while running, endorphins may help us actually feel limber and energized towards the end of a race. According to William Straw, M.D., a team physician for the San Jose Sharks, "at some point you may feel a little more energetic and you can kick-in when you did not feel like you could kick-in before." This was so true of my run today. I felt this sudden urge to speed up! At 2.75 miles I put my speed up a lot higher than I ever would & just ran all out...I felt like I could go forever...I was happy, I was thinking of a friend who just told me she is expecting a baby after trying for many years...I was emotional...I was energized. I realize when I look down that I am already past 3 miles....woohoo!!! I cool down with a 1/2 mile walk with a little incline. So my goal today was to run 3 miles...that I accomplished & also a little more! Altogether 3.5 miles!
I really focused on my food intake today. I did not want to sabotage my great workout. I feel I had a great day...I tried to eat low calorie, but high protein. Overall I believe it was a fantastic day!
Monday, March 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment